Post-Graduate Residency Training
- Yale-New Haven Hospital / VA CT Healthcare System; Yale University School of Medicine
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, 2010 – Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine, Philadelphia PA
- Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program, 2005 – Harvard University, Cambridge MA
- Bachelor of Arts, 2003 – Columbia University, New York NY
Board Certification, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Foot Surgery
- Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery
- Connecticut Podiatric Medical Association, 2011–Present
- American Podiatric Medical Association, 2010–Present
- St. Francis Hospital / Trinity Health of New England, Hartford CT
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven CT
Dr. Gambardella, a Connecticut native, graduated from Columbia University in 2003 where he was a Division I pitcher, and spent time in the Dominican Republic playing baseball following graduation. He went on to complete his pre-medical requirements at Harvard University and ultimately earned his Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree from Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine in 2010. While there, he served as President of his class and was inducted into the distinguished Pi Delta National Podiatric Honor Society and the Stirling-Harford DiPrimio Honorary Anatomical Society. He was also the recipient of the Kate L. Paine Scholarship in Peripheral Vascular Disease, among other numerous awards and scholarships. While at Temple University, he also earned membership into Who’s Who Among American Colleges and Universities. He then completed a comprehensive 3-year surgical residency at Yale-New Haven Hospital where he received extensive training in reconstructive foot and ankle surgery and deformity correction, diabetic limb salvage, and trauma surgery of the foot and ankle. During his residency, he authored a number of publications and received the prestigious Residency Excellence Award.
Upon completion of surgical training, Dr. Gambardella spent a year in private practice in New Haven County, and as an attending surgeon for the Podiatric Surgery Residency Program at Yale-New Haven Hospital. He joined Bloomfield Foot Specialists in 2014. Dr. Gambardella specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of foot and ankle disorders, including congenital and acquired deformities, sports related injuries, trauma, heel pain, nerve pain, wounds, arthritis, and nail plate disorders. His surgical interests include wound reconstruction and diabetic limb salvage, peripheral nerve surgery, ankle arthroscopy, deformity correction (bunions, flatfoot, etc), trauma surgery (tendon ruptures, foot and ankle fractures) and Charcot reconstruction. Dr. Gambardella also enjoys the academic aspect of medicine, including lecturing, research, and participating in the education of surgical residents.
Dr. Gambardella was appointed Section Chief of Podiatric Foot and Ankle Surgery at St. Francis Hospital as of July 1, 2021
- Gambardella GV. ACFAS Scientific Literature Review, May 2012: Twenty-Year Experience in Vein Bypasses to Branches of Pedal Arteries, from J Vasc Surg. 2011 Dec. 29 [Epub ahead of print]
- Sarage AL, Gambardella GV, Fullem B, Saxena A, and Caminear DS. Cuboid-Navicular Tarsal Coalition: Report of a Small Case Series with Description of a Surgical Approach for Resection. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2012 Nov;51(6):783-6.
- Gambardella GV and Blume PA. Understanding the Biomechanics of the Transmetatarsal Amputation. Podiatry Today, 2013 Mar;26(3):46-56.
- Gambardella GV and Blume PA. Diabetic Limb Salvage: Surgeon’s Perspective. Lower Extremity Review, August 2013.
- Gambardella GV, Donegan R, and Caminear DS. Isolated Dislocation of the Posterior Tibial Tendon in an Amateur Snowboarder: A Case Report. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2014 Mar–Apr;53(2):203-7.
- Gambardella GV, Delott J, Korwek Z. Foot and Ankle Injuries in Baseball Players. Lower Extremity Review, June 2014.
- Babu N, Gambardella GV, Bowlby M. Isolated Fracture of the medial cuneiform: A case report. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. September 2017
Publications in Progress
- Isolated Fracture of the Medial Cuneiform: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Babu N and Gambardella GV.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Foot: A Report of 3 Cases. Gambardella GV, Narayan D, and Schmidt B.
- Gambardella GV, Odukwe-Enu CN, Schmidt BM, and Blume PA. “Podiatric Problems and Management in Patients with Substance Abuse” in Substance Abuse: Inpatient and Outpatient Management for Every Clinician (pp. 515–36). New York: Springer. 2015.
- Vesely B, Gulosh M, Gambardella GV, Blume PA. “Anatomical Anomalies of the Foot and Ankle” in Surgical and Preoperative Management of Patients with Anatomic Anomalies (pp 419–436). Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2021.
- Revisional Reconstruction of a Charcot Midfoot Dislocation Utilizing Femoral Head Allograft and Ilizarov External Fixation. CPMA Annual Meeting, March 20–22, 2013.
- Lapidus Procedure for Hallux Valgus Deformity: All you need to know. TUSPM 5th Annual Alumni Foot and Ankle Seminar, September 21–22, 2013. Philadelphia, PA
- The Lapidus Procedure for Hallux Valgus Deformity. Grand Rounds, November 2013. Yale-New Haven Hospital, Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency Program.
- Surgical Considerations in Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. TUSPM 7th Annual Alumni Foot and Ankle Seminar, September 19–20, 2015. Philadelphia, PA
- Prophylactic foot and ankle surgery in the diabetic patient. Trans-Atlantic Diabetic Foot Conference, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT. 11/12/2016.
- Triple Arthrodesis for Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. Vilex Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Course & Lab. October 27-28, 2017. New York, NY.
- Ankle Fractures. Vilex Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Course & Lab. October 27-28, 2017. New York, NY.
- Triple Arthrodesis for Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. Vilex Advanced Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Course. April 14–15, 2018. La Jolla, CA.
- Fusions for the arthritic midfoot. Vilex Advanced Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Course. April 14-15, 2018. La Jolla, CA.
- The posterior tibial tendon. Yale Foot and Ankle Society Fall Seminar. November 3, 2018. New Haven, CT.
- Tibiotalar and tibio-talo-calcaneal Arthrodesis. Vilex Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Course, Course Chair. January 25–26, 2019; Boca Raton, FL.
- EXOGEN® and Fracture Healing. Youngstown Residency Journal Club. May 14, 2019; Youngstown, OH.
- The GEO Cart. Saint Francis Hospital Monthly Meeting. October 22, 2019. Hartford, CT.
- Addressing Metatarsus Adductus in the Adult Patient with Hallux Valgus. Yale Foot and Ankle Society Seminar – Focus on the Forefoot. November 2, 2019. New Haven, CT.
- Hallux Rigidus, Expert Panel. Yale Foot and Ankle Society Seminar – Focus on the Forefoot. November 2, 2019. New Haven, CT.
- CPMA Hands-on Cadaveric Surgical Lab. Utilization of Gramercy Extremity Orthopedics hardware. November 16, 2019. Waterbury, CT
- Biovance® :Decellularized, Dehydrated Human Amniotic Membrane. December 4, 2019. Hartford, CT
- Yale Podiatric Residency, Cadaveric Surgical Lab. Utilization of Gramercy Extremity Orthopedics hardware, with focus on 1st MTPJ and hindfoot arthrodesis. 4/20/2021, Shelton CT.
- Use of Vilex Hardware in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Resident Education. 5/5/2021. Glastonbury CT.